Welcome to KCGreen!
We have a companywide commitment to green living—and working—so naturally we share the longtime focus Pella® has on energy efficiency and sustainability. For instance, Pella has made numerous energy-saving improvements in its facilities. Wood, glass and screen cloth left over from the Pella manufacturing processes are recycled into such materials as pet bedding, reflective coating for highways and even archery targets.
But the commitment doesn’t end at the corporate level. It continues here locally with our green commitment among employees in our corporate office in Beltsville, Maryland, as well as eight showroom locations. Here are some details on the “green” and sustainability initiatives happening locally in our offices:
In the office and around town
- Pinnacle Waste® was selected as our waste removal company. Our installation teams return old and worn-out windows to the warehouse, where Pinnacle Waste sorts and recycles items such as cardboard, aluminum, wood, glass and other construction material.
- All paper is recycled.
- Over 80% of the scrap aluminum generated in our facility is recycled.
- All delivery, service and install vehicles are equipped with GPS systems for more efficient travel times. We have also implemented “Field Force Manager,” assists us in routing our service and delivery vehicles more effectively. Both of these programs help reduce the amount of fuel we use.
- Our fleet consists of drop-body delivery vehicles that allow us to reduce the total number of delivery vehicles we put on the road daily.
- We’ve installed an energy-efficient ballast to reduce energy consumption.
- Most offices have motion detectors attached to the lighting; if no movement is detected in a five-minute period, the lighting in that area is shut off.
- Printers, fax machines, notebooks, desktops and accessories are recycled with a local recycling center.
- Mobile phones are recycled with Verizon Wireless® HopeLine and EnviroSmart.
- Toner is recycled through Recycle-Free.
- Computers are set on an energy savings program that turns the monitor off after 20 minutes of no use and puts the machines in sleep mode after about an hour.
Pella products conserve energy.
Our commitment to the environment and ways to protect natural resources comes honestly. Pella Corporation has long recognized its responsibility to the environment. As company founder Pete Kuyper stated in 1950, “We recognize our responsibilities as stewards of our natural resources and the environment, and will avoid wasteful or harmful disregard of the environmental effects of our operations.”
What’s more, Pella windows and doors help homeowners live a little greener too, reducing your carbon footprint while helping reduce energy waste.
Pella Energy Efficiency
How do windows and doors affect a home’s energy use?
Windows and doors are a major source of heat loss in a home. When heat escapes in the winter or is allowed in during the summer, your home’s furnace or air conditioner has to work harder and use more energy to keep the temperature inside your house comfortable and consistent.